Scallop Crudo with Cucumber and Citrus Salad
2 tsp unseasoned rice wine vinegar
1 tsp mirin
1 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
1 lime, juiced
100ml extra virgin olive oil
2 small white grapefruits
4 Persian cucumbers
8 large raw scallops, side muscle removed
Furikake seasoning for garnish (a savoury mixture of dried, ground fish, seeds and nori seaweed - choose a variation without egg as this sometimes is added too)
Flaky sea salt
- Make a vinaigrette by whisking together the vinegar, mirin, soy sauce and juice of half the lime, plus a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Slice oﬀ both ends of the grapefruits to expose the flesh. With one flat end down on the cutting board, cut along the curve of the fruit to remove the pith and peel. Then cut into 1cm rounds and place in the bowl of vinaigrette, tossing to combine.
- Use a mandolin or sharp knife to carefully cut the cucumbers into very thin rounds and add to the bowl with the vinaigrette and grapefruit.
- Cut each scallop into thin rounds - depending on the size, each one should yield 4-5 slices. Squeeze over the remaining lime juice and season with sea salt to taste.
- Arrange all the components on a plate, alternating layers of each and garnish with a scattering of the furikake before serving.